I don’t do resolutions. Normally, I don’t even do goals, because a year is a long time for me to look at. Plus, goals/resolutions tend to break down to “I’m doing this EVERY DAY”, and I can’t even say I’m good at sleeping every day, let alone anything else.
So instead, using a handy new brainstorming system that I have (spoiler: it’s a giant piece of paper, and that’s why it’s awesome), I’ve broken things down a little more. I have an actual schedule for writing, and goals in a few other areas as well.
So, without further ado (other than my normal parenthetical asides), my goals for 2013:
In short, I am devoting this year to heavy editing/revision work on Survivors, and adding to that getting out first drafts of three novels that I have started. There will probably be work besides that, but that’s a good start. In all, if I stick to this, I should write around 700k, with three first drafts and an (impossible!) third draft.
- Reread and take notes, plan the rewrite – January
- Rewrite – February/March
- Editing, Round 1 – August/September
- Polish, look for Betas – December
Blood Collection (name very subject to change)
- Reread, take notes – 1st half of April
- Rewrite – April/May
- Reread, take notes – 1st half of June
- Rewrite – June/July
- Serious world building, characterization – October
- Writing – NaNo
Because not everything I am focusing on is actual writing. Hell, some of it isn’t even writing related, which is a lot more impressive.
- Have an alpha version of the writing program done by April’s Camp Nano
- Have a beta version ready for use by others by NaNo proper
- Average two updates a week
- Follow more writers/writing blogs! (See this entry for what I mean)
- Double my email followers by the end of the year
- Read 24 books this year, at a minimum
- At least 3/4 of them have to be new to me, or rereads of stories that I don’t have any memory of (because I read them when I was young, for instance)
- Get in better shape – isn’t this everyone’s? This is something I’m going to keep coming back to, though. This one ranks up there in importance almost as high as the writing stuff for me
- Finish my dragon sculpture
- Have a net positive worth – I only have two major debts, but I want to pay them off and save enough that, overall, in the black
- Be awesome – I think this is the one I’ll have the least trouble with
So whew! That’s a lot, I know. I have an even more detailed view that I’m sparing you, though.
Do you have any resolutions or goals for the year?